So you are planning your next clarinet getaway. Here are 10 of my favorite places to visit and things to do to feed my appetite for clarinet and more clarinet!
1. Paris, France - Home of Vandoren, the Paris Opera, and the Rue de Rome.
2. Mantes-la-Ville, France - Home of the Buffet Crampon and Selmer factories.
3. New Orleans - Dixieland!
4. New York City – The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a fantastic musical instrument collection. Hear great clarinetists at Lincoln Center and in Broadway Shows.
5. College Park, Maryland - Home to the International Clarinet Association (ICA) Archives.
6. Washington, DC - The Library of Congress has an amazing historic music and recording collection.
7. Symphony hall in your home city - Go to live performances to hear professional players.
8. Universities and conservatories - Hear the next generation of clarinetists perform, usually for free!
9. ICA ClarinetFest - The absolute ultimate experience for anyone interested in the clarinet. Different location in summer each year.
10. Midwest Clinic every December in Chicago - Great performances, presentations, and vendor displays. Don't miss the Chicago Symphony and jazz on Rush Street! These are some of my favorites, please share yours!